Saturday 30 April 2016

I have found this difficult

...  OK.  Problem number 1; I have four "pump up" clamps, no G clamps and a selection of rather pathetic, plastic "grips" 

The bit that I have found particularly difficult is holding the sheer plank ends in tension towards the centre of the boat in order to cut out the "wedge" that will produce the tumblehome.  Mark F Pettingill, in his book "Building Sweet Dream" - a two-sheet canoe along the same lines as the present Nessmuk - shows a mid-ships template that both sets the gunwale width and the tumblehome angle.  No such template exists for Nessmuk.

But you do need to set the 24" width.  In the end (too late really) I made a jig to rest on the gunwales mid-ships and to give me some sort of stability.  Without this, everything is just too mobile......

Anyway; I hope and expect that others may be able to tell me what I should have done differently but I have ended up having to cut the gores twice and thus have a 1-2mm gap between the plank ends....  Having tidied up as I went along, I am now going to have to create some wood-dust as a filler!

I still think that I shall have to take out a little more from the left-hand planks in this image - the stem nearest the camera is a bit over to the right to my eye. 

I know that the stem tops don't coincide - but I think that's a cutting error, rather than an alignment error.

And I shall just have to bite the bullet and buy some more clamps - aren't they a price?  C Clamps in the Laurentians, Canada, come from £2.18; one well-known builder's merchant here in the UK has them from £5.00!

Ho hum - here's the image;  a bit more filleting out of the Sheer planks tomorrow I suspect.


No comments:

Post a Comment