Friday 22 April 2016

Wood and pencil...

When the wood came, I was a bit taken aback because it had two, large, workshop footprints on it.  Fortunately, they sanded off well enough but in the process I noticed a void between adjacent surface veneers about 14-20 cm long and 2 mm wide at the widest.

One phone call and two days after, a replacement turned up and I've just finished marking out.

Firstly - I am known to be able to measure twice and get it wrong on both occasions.  Secondly, I have just about mastered Metric measuring only to find that the plans are in Imperial....  Fortunately, much of my canoe-building / DIY house fixing time is spent in North America so, whilst I don't really enjoy eighths and sixteenths, conceptually I can cope.

Thirdly, the plans we have are scans of hand-drawn plans (still no takers for copyright but I found this link on line  to a Nessmuk building workshop at the Pitt-Rivers museum in Oxford.  Perhaps they could tell me about the copyright on the plans?) so some of the writing is a bit blurred.  I contacted  my distant helper who told me that dimension A - H is 14 and 1/8 inches.



The first mistake was not to notice that the left-hand edge of the plan drawing is in fact the mid-line of the sheet of ply.  Silly of me, but I did warn you about my measuring issues!!

I ended up laying masking tape along all the measuring lines and only marking the cutting lines on to the ply.  I don't know what finish I want for this boat yet so it's less sanding to remove the unwanted lines (and easier to remedy all my following errors!).

I used a piece of strip aluminium to bend a fair curve for the bow and stern - which meant I could transfer the curve from one to another - and drove dress-making pins (Shhhhh!) into the ply to bend a lightweight glass-fibre rod to make the curve H - E - H.

All this was done on the dining table -

Seriously need to borrow another Work-Mate for the cutting out - and find a nice, new jig-saw blade......

Maybe Monday if I'm very lucky.  Also need to install pulleys in the garage ceiling to store it from.

No comments:

Post a Comment