Sunday 24 April 2016

Progress - and a minor panic!

Sunday - day of rest.

The lawn's already cut so - time off for good behaviour and away to the garage!

Progress today has been 4 hours.

Cutting out - pretty straightforward with  laser-marker power saw for the straight bits and a powered jig-saw for the curves.  I'd have liked to do it all by hand but I'm not buying a pull saw for one job!


Watch-points (who says watch-points?).

Check and re-check the relationship of the blade to the bench - the ply slides around...

Cut the lines G-F       LAST - it makes the piece much easier to handle for the longest time.



So then I pushed the lower end of the piece out of the garage and doused both sides with boiling water....

 





It seemed like a good idea.....

Then I began to "roll up" the sheet towards me before tethering the bow and stern tips with a single cable tie.  Seemed like another good idea ( I couldn't find any string which is what the instructions call for) but I don't know whether it was a result of that, or the result of the three-ply, 4mm wood that I'm using, but this appeared (at both ends!).


I (very) rapidly found and stripped some copper cable and inserted "stop ties" medial (central) to each impending split - things seem to have stabilised!
 
I had tried to work my tie-holes from the initial bow-tie downwards (I have no idea why) - not a good idea; work from the "keel" towards the stem.

Life is made easier if you temporarily tether the cut ends of the  sheer-strakes (previous cut G - F).  Stops them thrashing around; my clamps weren't up to the job for this so I drilled a couple of holes near the upper and lower edges and used a cable tie in each place.

So - steady progress - but it IS a day of rest so I've stopped at bow and stern secured; one sheer-strake in place but not cut.

 


I need to ask my contact about the height of the sheer above the chine and the width of the boat at the gunwales - and hence the tumble-home.......



 

No comments:

Post a Comment